The OSSPEAC Graduate Scholarship: (Deadline to apply-July 21st)
The Ohio School Speech Pathology Educational Audiology Coalition (OSSPEAC) is committed to fostering our profession of speech/language pathology and audiology in Ohio’s universities. The OSSPEAC Graduate Scholarship has been established to raise awareness among graduate students of OSSPEAC and to recognize excellence of academic and clinical skills of individuals who plan a career in the educational setting. The OSSPEAC Graduate Scholarship is designed to assist audiology and speech-language pathology students enrolled in Ohio programs who have secured:
- Second-year graduate student status for Speech-Language Pathology students by the upcoming fall semester.
- Second- through fourth-year student status for Audiology students (both depending upon their respective university’s credit hour policy) by the upcoming fall semester.
Financial need is not a consideration for this scholarship. Candidates are reviewed based upon the information provided about academic achievement, clinical skill development, interest and experience related to communication disorders, and expressed interest in working in an educational setting.
The applicant must provide the following documentation to be considered:
- A letter from your graduate school/department verifying a GPA of 3.5 or higher and confirming your status in the program for fall semester (i.e. year two for speech-language pathology students and year 2-4 for audiology students.) A template for the letter is provided HERE.
- Completed application form.
- One letter of recommendation from the applicant’s student teaching supervisor or other clinical supervisor regarding clinical skills and experience.
- One letter of recommendation from academic instructors or faculty members on university letterhead regarding academic achievement.
The selection committee will consist of a panel of at least five reviewers including but not limited to: Scholarship/Grant Committee Chairperson, OSSPEAC Audiology Representative, OSSPEAC Speech and Language Representative, OSSPEAC Treasurer and OSSPEAC President-Elect.
In addition to a $1000.00 scholarship, the student will be honored and recognized by OSSPEAC members on the OSSPEAC website and featured in the OSSPEAC newsletter.
CURRENT WINNER 2021: Aaron Witt
Aaron graduated from the University of Toledo with a BS in Speech-Language Pathology.
As a sophomore in college, he started an organization at the University of Toledo called Dogs for Difference, that takes dogs into special education classrooms to enhance therapy for students. After graduation, he registered the organization as a 501(c)(3) non-profit and has visited several settings with the dogs.
Aaron notes, “Through my work with Dogs For Difference, I have seen how dogs have the unrivaled ability to encourage communication…” He is currently working on a thesis centered around the use of dogs and enhanced milieu teaching in speech therapy to increase the expressive communication of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders.